Saturday, April 18, 2020

Week of April 20th - 24th, 2020

Monday - Thursday:
Welcome back!  I hope you had a restful break.  I'd like to do a brief Google video chat first thing today, to just check in with you all, and make sure that everyone understands the 'Getting Started With The Machine Learning Paper' assignment I shared on Friday.


This week we will be carrying on with CodeHS.  I am looking for some ways to mix things up, but we need a little more coding experience first.  I expect everyone to complete unit 4: Conditionals this week.  As in previous weeks, I will do a progress grade on Thursday evening, and there will be a unit quiz on Friday.

A substantial minority of you (10 out of 36) have already completed the modules for unit 4.  I think that's terrific, and I encourage you to carry on.  I promise you that I can find you more good things to do with coding once you have finished CodeHS.

I think it's fair that you all know that CodeHS gives me up-do-date information on your activity.  Here is a snapshot early in first period:


Friday:
Quiz on unit 4.
Be comfortable with expressions like:
    val = True
    print(type(val))
Know how to use if, if/else, if/elif/else
Know how an if statement can be nested in another if statement
Know how to use comparison operators ==, !=>=,  ><=, and <
Know how boolean expressions can be combined with  and and or
Know how to use round() when comparing floating point numbers

When you're done with the quiz, go ahead and work on unit 5.