Do now for beginning of class: take survey on computer security knowledge. It's fine if you aren't familiar with most of the words, I'm just trying to get an idea of what you've heard of.
Last in-class time for "3 Page Website" project
If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to adapt this idea and use a version of it on your website: https://www.thinkful.com/learn/halloween-programming-tutorial/
Computer Pioneer oral presentations - 60-120 seconds, no slides or notes
(Group 1 current events can be handed in:
P1: Maya, Stephen, Charlotte, Quinn, Josh, Dana, May, Zack H., Alfred, Ritik
P2: Vishwak, Neil, Brian, Lauren C., Tanay, Dan, Lauren H., Matthew, Bryan, Alex)
(shortened period, "Week of Respect" program)
Begin discussion of Google, cloud computing, dynamic web pages
- Being a Google Autocompleter (2:37)
- How Google Search works (3:15)
- How Search Ads Work (2:38)
- How Google Apps Work (1:51)
- Google Data Center (4:52)
15 minutes at beginning of class to turn in web sites - web sites due by 11:15 today.
Continue with discussion of cookies and dynamic web pages.
Read Cookie Monsters.
Video: What They Know - Advertising Cookies and You (7:15)
Brief discussion of computer algorithms:
Algorithm: "a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer." "In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is a self-contained step-by-step set of operations to be performed." In other words, an algorithm is a recipe.
- Video: What is an Algorithm and Why Should You Care?
- Video: The Smartest Elevators
- Demonstrate Conway's Game of Life
- Demonstrate selection sort vs merge sort
JSUMC Rotation #1
Security readings for next Tuesday:
- New Fast-Spreading Virus takes Internet by Storm(1999)
- Slammed! An inside view of the worm that crashed the Internet in 15 minutes (2003)
- The Facebook Virus Spreads: No Social Network is Safe (2008)
- What is a Drive-By Download? (2013)
- Think You're Safe at Starbucks? Think Again. (2013)
- Hacker Lexicon: A Guide to Ransomware, the Scary Hack That’s on the Rise (2015)