- The W3C HTML Validator
- The W3C CSS Validator
- Download TextWrangler for Mac
- Download Notepad++ for Windows
- Download Notepad2 for Windows
Take survey on computer security knowledge. It's fine if you aren't familiar with many of the words, I'm just trying to get an idea of what you've heard of.
Last in-class time to work on "3 Page Website" project -- due Thursday at 11:15 -- turn-in sheet handed in, files on server. If you have some time, and you're happy with your site and want to go a little further, you might want to adapt this idea and use a version of it on your website: https://www.thinkful.com/learn/halloween-programming-tutorial/
Group 4 current events:
P1: Stella, Angelina, Vithoria, Joelle
P2: Mikaela, Scott, Karlo, Taylor
Begin discussion of Google, cloud computing, dynamic web pages
Being a Google Autocompleter (2:37)
How Google Search works (3:15)
How Search Ads Work (2:38)
How Google Apps Work (1:51)
Google Data Center (4:52)
15 minutes at beginning of class to turn in web sites - web sites due by 11:15 today.
Continue with discussion of cookies and dynamic web pages.
Read Cookie Monsters.
Video: What They Know - Advertising Cookies and You (7:15)
Brief discussion of computer algorithms:
Algorithm: "a process or set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations, especially by a computer." "In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm is a self-contained step-by-step set of operations to be performed." In other words, an algorithm is a recipe.
Video: What is an Algorithm and Why Should You Care?
Video: The Smartest Elevators
Demonstrate Conway's Game of Life
Demonstrate selection sort vs merge sort
JSUMC Rotation #1
Security readings for next Monday, March 7th:
- New Fast-Spreading Virus takes Internet by Storm(1999)
- Slammed! An inside view of the worm that crashed the Internet in 15 minutes(2003)
- The Facebook Virus Spreads: No Social Network is Safe (2008)
- What is a Drive-By Download? (2013)
- Think You're Safe at Starbucks? Think Again. (2013)
- Hacker Lexicon: A Guide to Ransomware, the Scary Hack That’s on the Rise (2015)